A look into my life.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Let me introduce myself...

Hello everyone! My name is Keri Bland and I am in my first semester at Fairmont State University. This semester I am enrolled in EDUC 6301, EDUC 6302, EDUC 6305, & EDUC 6195.  It is really neat to have all my classes online and at the same time it is somewhat difficult.  There is a lot to keep up with and pay attention to, but I have confidence in myself and will get through it best I can.  Although I don't have to step foot on campus for class, I live roughly 15 minutes away from it.  I currently live with my parents - in the middle of nowhere – between Fairview and Farmington, off of a tiny, county road called Bethel Road.
My humble abode... ...It' out there & I love it
I got my B.S. in Mathematics from WVU (May 2010) and when I wasn’t quite sure where to go from there someone suggested teaching. I decided to give it a go and started my MA in teaching at WVU where I completed one year. I then decided to transfer to Fairmont State University and finish it off, thus I am working on my Masters in Teaching, with my subject being Math grades 5-12. My masters was supposed to take two years to complete, but with transferring I lost a semester, leaving me with three semesters total and hopes of completing the program by May 2013. Once I have my masters completed I would like to teach a math class, grades 5-12. I haven’t quite pinpointed what math or what age kids I would prefer to teach.
A picture of me and my boyfriend- Ben Richardson - he also goes to Fairmont State.
 As if school isn’t enough work as it is, I chose to take on two other jobs. I am working as a Graduate Assistant in the education department at Fairmont State, under Diana Dunn. You can find me there 8 hours a day on Mondays and Wenesdays, and 4 hours or so on Tuesdays. If you ever need to find me in the education building, listen closely for the constant humming of papers being scanned. I also am a RESA 7 certified substitute teacher in Marion County as of November 2011. Since I got certified I have gotten to sub quite a lot, but during the semester I am leaving Thursdays and Fridays open for subbing.
 
I have been part of various teams most of my life. I ran cross country and track at North Marion High School as well as WVU. I was on a full ride scholarship and achieved many great things and had many incredible experiences. I am actually deemed the most decorate female athlete in WVU history with 9 All Americans and I was the first female at WVU to earn three All Americans, in three different sports, in the same year. I ran on two USA teams and tried out for the Olympics in 2008, where I placed 15th in the nation as a 20 year old college sophomore. I was the third collegiate athlete to make the top 15! When I was in peak condition I would run 85 miles a week and my fastest mile time is 4:34!
         This is me (the one in the front) - this is the race that qualified me for the Olympic Trials in 2008!

I hope everyone has a wonderful semester & 
I wish you all the best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment