A look into my life.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Snipping Tool

I have always “snipped” images by using CTRL + “print screen” to copy the screen into “paint it” then cropped and edited what piece of the screen I wanted, then resaved that image in paint it for future use.  I never knew that Microsoft Windows had a “Snipping Tool” utility.

First, I had to find snipping tool on my computer.  I used the “search” function on my start menu and simply typed in “Snipping Tool”.
 
This is a “snip” image I made using my prior version of CTRL + “print screen” & paint it.  It shows me searching for the tool and my computer found it.  It also gave me the option to add it to my QuickLaunch Bar.
 I then made a desktop short cut of the “Snipping Tool” because using this took is so much easier than my previous way of snipping images!  I plan on using this thing very often!  How cool?!
This image shows the Snipping Tool, both pinned to my desktop and added to my QuickLaunch menu.

The Snipping tool is so amazing!  I’ve been “snipping” all day!  You can save a snip as HTMl, PNG, GIF, or JPEG.  Plus they are automatically copied to the Clipboard so you can quickly paste it into a program.  The snips can be free-form, rectangular, window, or full screen – so you can snip as little or as much as you actually need.  This snipping tool will be helpful in blogging, so that I can visually show my blog readers examples of what is on my screen.   I have been using snips but not by the snipping tool, this made my life easier!
One way it could be used practically, in education, is say I were getting ready to teach a lesson on graphing parabolas and I give my lessons in PowerPoint form.  In order to give examples of various parabolas, I could simply Google images of parabolas and use the snipping tool to snip ones that I would like to use and I could either directly paste them into my PowerPoint presentation or I could save them and upload them to it.

Below are some snips of parabolas:
Free-form, added ink (writing) & highlighted the one that is concave down


Rectangular snip, highlighted the parabolas




Window snip (also changed the ink to black and selected not to show the ink after snipping - see snip at end of post), this could show the student how to Google images of parabolas

You could also snap the full screen of your computer, but you get the idea.  Once you have the snips you can copy them and paste them, you can save them, or you can send them as an email or email attachment.


These are my Snipping Tool settings, which you find under options.  Notice where I have my in color set to black and I unselected to show in after captures.

ISTE Nets T standard 3a, 1a, and 1c. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning:
collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation.  We need to give students the tools they need to succeed in today's high tech world. 
Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments  (a) design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity (c) customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies and abilities using digital tools and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment