A look into my life.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Jeopardy

For this assignment we were to create a Jeopardy game to use in our current or future classrooms.  (Hum Jeopardy theme song to yourself, in your head, as you read this.) I made a somewhat, universal one that would help review for tests like the ACT or in an Algebra or Algebra 2 class after going over a unit on solving equations. 

I got my material from the Pearson, Prentice Hall, Algebra book that was used at Morgantown High School (Morgantown West Virginia) last year for their Algebra classes. 
     The game comes from Chapter 2 – Solving Equations.  The sub categories are
1. Solving One-Step Equations,
2. Solving Two-Step Equations,
3. Solving Multi-Step Equations,
4. Solving Equations with Variables on Both Sides, and
5. Solving Word Problems by Setting up and Solving One- Step, Two-Step, Multi-Step,  
    and Variables on Both Sides Equations

Click to PLAY     --- or ---    Click to EDIT  
(I can go back to this website(with password) and edit later if I want to tweak)

My questions and answers aren’t quite in Jeopardy form where the answer is given and you have to give the question, because in math that would be a whole other game.  If I said x=5, what is the question, you could give me all kinds of questions that x=5 would be the solution to.  So, I switched it up. Problem to solve: solution & work given when clicked.  It is still played the same way, with teams, and various point levels.

I included the work written out with the answers.  Also, the categories go from 100 being easier problems of that sort to 500 being the harder problems of that sort.  The categories progressively get a little more difficult also.  I mixed in decimals, fractions, distribution, money, and commutative property.

I used html in the building of this Jeopardy game (take out *’s for the html codes to work),
·         to make certain text italicized <*em >text you want italicized here<*/em >,
·         underlined <*ins >text you want underlined here<*/ins >,
·         and even for <*b  />
line          <*b  />  
breaks,    <*b  />  (got to put those at the end of the line to break that way)
so that it looks neat & tidy.

I enjoyed this assignment.  We have been learning about “The Play Years” in EDUC 6302 – Human Growth & Development, and I believe that play is very important to incorporate into curriculum & what better way to get excited about math then playing a good ol’ game of Jeopardy!!

 ISTE NETS T - Standard 2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
After making this review game based on mathematical practice, students are engaging in a teacher designed learning experience. This review could be based on summative or formative assessments. This type of assessment can be customized for the individual students through a creative digital tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment